Sunday, November 1, 2009

9th readings

1st reading
The first website seemed to me to be in a foreign language. I understood the idea behind XML but failed to grasp the way XML interacts with the computer. I felt this article did not give enough examples. XML is its own language. I understand it serves the purpose of helping us interact with computers and documents. I guess I would almost call it the computer's language.

2nd reading
The second website provided links to XML programs designed for specific purposes. XML is a standard tool which can than be used for many things. I found the second section on the website to be extremely helpful. It defined XML as a "standardized generalized markup language." This helped clarify my thoughts from the first website.

3rd reading
Wow, this article had a lot of XML code. This article was about comparing HTML and XML. People have been portraying XML as a simple tool that will replace XML. All I can say is all that code did not make XML simple to me. It made it look even more confusing. I did, however, understand the basic concept that HTML and XML interact differently with computers and users. Those differences are the part of the article that confused me.

4th reading
This website reminded me of last week readings. It provides a place in which a person can interact and create code through XML. I find these sites extremely useful because we can experiment without worrying about harming the site. It allows students to interact like we are XML coders. Again, I am an absolute horrible XML coder, but everyone has to start somewhere.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that the fourth reading is the most helpful, even though the other readings do not do a great job of explaining XML. I wonder why it is so hard to describe or explain XML if it is supposed to be a time saving tool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it does seem to be a very time consuming process - perhaps its one of those that are hard to figure out in the beginning, but in the long run it's a time saving tool - but getting to that point is the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the W3 sites are the most hands on and therefore the most helpful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still confused as to what practical use XML is put to as well. The articles explained this concept in a sort of round about fashion. It was sort of touched on but kind of difficult to completely understand unless you work with computers and coding every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also was more confused this week than last week. I wished that the final web site had had more simple examples as the html one provided. Also it seemed at first that XML was realitively simple to understand, and then I read the 2nd article... Yes, now I am just waiting for class to make things clear again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I too found XML much more confusing than HTML but did find parts of the various readings to be helpful. It should be interesting to see if we ever go over XML.

    ReplyDelete