Friday, September 4, 2009

2nd Reading

1st) Personal Computer Hardware

This reading illustrated that I do not know a lot about computers. I only recognized the very basic items like the CD-ROM Drive. I also noticed that everything had an acronym. I did find this site extremely useful because everything had another link explaining the item in more detail. It is amazing that there are so many gadgets in a computer despite the small size of the item. The part I found the most interesting was the different types of storage available on the computer. This article provided a great overview of a computer.

2nd) Moore's Law

I am shocked that Moore's law continues to be the standard for improvements in technology. I understand that not all technology like the RAM and hard drive has doubled every two years, but a significant amount of equipment has improved by that much. It is the competitive nature of human beings that allows us to continue to strive to improve. It is never good enough. Part of the reason that the number of transistor have doubled every two years is because the size and cost of the item have decreased. The improvements in the field have been amazing. In a month, the new laptop or cell phone you just bought is out of date. It is almost impossible to keep up.

I agree with Mr. Moore that this growth will eventually slow down. This does not mean humans will ever stop trying to improve technology. I believe we will continue to invest in finding ways to make things work faster and longer. Humans have nowhere near reached their potential.

3rd) Computer History Museum

This site had a lot of cool links. The link for the history of the internet explained the process of technology only being shared with a select few growing into an international phenomenon. Every single family I know owns at least one computer. In around forty years, the computer and internet has progressed from only performing basic functions to a multiple purpose piece of technology. The link for the Silicon Engine illustrated the development through pictures. I cannot wait to see the continuing changes that will happen in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought it was interesting that Moore's Law acknowledged that technology growth would have to slow down at some point. That is something that fascinates me about technology because it changes so quickly that I always wonder if and when it will hit the wall. I also thought the futurist opinion that this innovation would lead to instantaneous technology. It seems things are headed that way but its hard to imagine things being even faster than they are now.

    ReplyDelete