Friday, September 25, 2009

5th Reading

1st reading
Wikipedia, again, provides a great explanation for a very confusing subject. My view is that data compression is a trade off like everything else in the world. You could compress everything, but then it would take forever to decompress. You could not compress anything, but then your could not save as much. It was a great preface for the next article..

2nd reading
This article expanded on the Wikipedia's article. It explained the difficulties of compressing a document without making the data larger. It has only been through human invention that computers have come so far so quickly. The information is stored through a code. However, a huge problem is the possibility of losing data. I would hate to have to rewrite a paper. It has happened before, and I never want it to happen again.

3rd reading
Metadata, again, seemed to be a huge problem. It is hard to create metadata that the entire world would use to search for photographs. It took coordinated effort from the participating libraries to create the system. Computers were essential in establishing this system. University of Pittsburgh establishes a website with thousands of photos with a computer. WE have been able to do thousands of things because of computers. Our lives are now interconnected through computers and the World Wide Web.

4th reading
I love YouTube. It provides me with endless pleasure. However, this article failed to understand the structure of a library. Every library is different. It has unique databases and an individual way to access it. A YouTube video explaining how to access the databases would be useless for the majority of viewers. It would actually hurt most viewers. They would assume that the instructions given would work for their library. This is not the case. I believe instituting this idea would actually cause more damage than good.

3 comments:

  1. On your posting on YouTube: I came to the same conclusion about YouTube vidoes having to be carefully considered, however I think there is a way that all institutions can utilize such a wonderful tool to serve their patrons. First of all, videos would have to be tailored to each institution, which only makes sense, and each institution should make their own videos and have their own separate channel. This wouldn't be a great burden, as simple software like power point could be used to produce such videos.

    Think, for instance, of the small public library advertising its new acquisitions every month, better informing their patrons about item availability and letting patrons use the library more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually disagree about the YouTube article, I think the point is for each institution to do their own group, as stated by lid25. It would be a simple and even better, free way to help users of an institution figure out how to use many of the systems and programs offered by the library. I think this would most be of most use to universities in order to introduce new students (or even returning students) to the library and library system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the Youtube video can be a good way to advertise, so to speak, ideas and your particular library. The problem is that there is a lack of depth when it comes to Youtube videos. You can't ask the video a question. I find that when using the library many of my questions come up in the process, not before hand. I don't know what I will need to know until I start to work on a project. Then, it becomes painfully clear that I need help. So, I think that Youtube is limited in many ways, and that libraries need to use them appropriately.

    ReplyDelete